Why Should I Care About WELCA?
- WELCA represents Edmonton’s unique culture and character.
- Alberta is home to more than 1/3 of Canada’s horses and we enjoy equine recreation as much as we enjoy hockey and soccer.
- When you want to show visitors Edmonton’s quality of life, surprise them at the city’s own 1918 farm preserved in the River Valley Park. It is living history open every day of the year.
- The horses make it beautiful and exciting, in a relaxed setting.
- WELCA benefits all Edmontonians with respite, recreation, therapy and education.
- Programs are accessible and inclusive.
- 95% of students don’t own a horse and 30% have special needs.
- We have been home to the Little Bits Therapeutic Riding Association for 36 years.
- WELCA’s lesson herd also trains photographers, animal technicians, and veterinarians, and makes Edmonton the only city in the country with equine-assisted psycholtherapy, helping people with eating disorders and post-traumatic stress disorder.
- WELCA is a non-profit society where volunteers outnumber staff 15 to one.
What difference will you make?
The good times you’ll have at the Hoofbeats & Heartbeats Gala will be enhanced knowing the important changes you will make at WELCA. Our present facilities are 33-year old portable trailers with no indoor washrooms or plumbing. This heritage park needs comfortable year-round buildings for recreation, education and therapy. Have a look at what you’ll be changing – better public amenities to benefit more people. More reasons to visit WELCA and bring your friends.